Helping you communicate
your strengths and vision
Christopher L. Caterine
Chris develops clear, concise, and compelling messages so individuals and organizations can present their strengths and vision more effectively. His book, Leaving Academia: A Practical Guide, was released in 2020 by Princeton University Press.
Education and work led Chris from his birthplace in New England to the river-bend of New Orleans. He currently lives there with his wife Mallory, their son Caleb, and their cat Li’l Easy.
- Career coach for professionals leaving academia
- Proposal writer for a global consulting firm, specializing in strategic opportunities
- Board director for the Nyansa Classical Community, an educational non-profit
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Classical Studies at Tulane University
- Chair of the Contingent Faculty Committee for the Society for Classical Studies
- Alumni admissions interviewer for Georgetown University
“An indispensable guide for grad students and academics who want to find fulfilling careers outside higher education”
Princeton University Press (2020)
Nature Career Feature
Quoted in an article on how science PhDs can adapt their career plans amid the COVID-19 pandemic
Inside Higher Ed
Point of view on how the COVID-19 crisis stands to drive more PhDs from academia than any event in living memory, and where they can go for help
Article on Lucan’s Cato and the reader of the Bellum Civile. My only regret is starting with the word “Despite.”
Bring the possibilities of what your students can do with their PhD to life. I’m available to speak about leaving academia in dedicated talks, for networking round tables, and on conference panels.
Accelerate your path to a new career with personalized advice and check-ins for added accountability. Billing is hourly, with discounts when you commit to five or more sessions.
Cement learning from short courses with practical exercises. Available to facilitate sessions on networking, translating CVs to résumés, building supportive departments, and teaching transferable skills in graduate seminars.
Chris has spoken in a number of public forums to advocate for academics pursuing more diverse career outcomes. Select engagements include:
- Author interview, New Books Network.
- Author interview, Versatile PhD.
- Panelist, Glasgow University ASBS Career Diversity Roundtable.
- Skills workshop, UVA’s PhD Plus program.
- Author interview, Roostervane.
- Skills workshop, Society for Classical Studies: translating skills for nonacademic audiences.
- Author interview, Johns Hopkins PHutures initiative.
- Author interview, #ChangeHireEd.
- Review and author interview, The Thesis Whisperer.
- Speaker, Princeton GradFUTURES Virtual Meetup.
- Speaker, Beyond the Professoriate Online Career Conference: exploring work outside the academy.
- Facilitator, Supporting diverse career outcomes. Workshop for the chairs of graduate programs at the Society for Classical Studies annual meeting.
- Featured Professional, PhD Matters Speed Networking.
To hear the latest news about Christopher L. Caterine, including his book Leaving Academia: A Practical Guide (2020, Princeton University Press), enter your email below.
You can also connect with Chris on social media or through the contact form.